In 2022, Instagram continued its mission to uplift the creator economy to new heights.
To support creators and influencers, Instagram enhanced the Creator’s marketplace functionality and introduced valuable features like achievements, subscriptions, creator portfolios, and the Reels bonus program.
While brands can now use improved Reel features to increase reach and improve engagement to build a long-lasting community.
In 2023 things are looking good for businesses that want to tap into the Gen Z crowd using the power of Instagram’s innovative features.
With every update, Instagram is adding value for its users. The question is now – how can marketers like you extract the benefit out of it?
Well, we’ve compiled a list of 70+ Instagram statistics to help you play the Instagram ground better to boost your brand’s presence in 2023.
Instagram Demographics Statistics
With massive growth over the past decade and some ups and downs, Instagram now has a total population of more than 1.22 billion monthly active users. The number is quite impressive, considering the constant competition Instagram faces from the new platforms.
Instagram also has a global presence, with the majority of the audience hailing from India, followed by the U.S. and Brazil.
Regarding gender, the platform has a slightly higher proportion of male users, with around 52.2% of male users and 47.8% of female users.
- Instagram has over 1.22 billion monthly active users.
- 70% of Instagrammers are under 34 years.
- The 25-34-year-old age group is the largest of the demographics, attributing to 31.7% of the total Instagram population.
- Instagram is used by 25.31 % of the world’s population.
- Daily active users of Instagram stories are 500 million.
- 87% of Instagram users live outside the U.S.
- The highest number of users of Instagram is in India (230.5 million), the U.S. (159.75 million), and Brazil (119.45 million).
- 47.8% of all Instagram users are female, while 52.2% are male.
Instagram Usage Statistics
Instagram statistics have shown the platform’s growing usage over the years, with a 5.79% annual increase from 2021. Moreover, Reels have been a favorite feature of Instagram users, with an average reach engagement rate of 1.95%.
Plus, the Instagram story fervor is still on, with 70% of Instagram users watching them daily. So you might not want to cut off Instagram stories from your marketing plan yet.
If you plan to use stories on Instagram, keep the important ones in your highlights. So every time a new visitor comes to your profile, they can check out relevant stories from the highlight. Here are some more vital Instagram statistics to get you started.
- The number of Instagram users in 2022 marks a 5.79% annual increase from 2021.
- Instagram’s user growth is forecasted to slow slightly to 5.47% in 2023.
- Instagram is the 4th most popular social media in the world in terms of MAUs.
- The monthly active user base of Instagram is equivalent to the population of the EU and North America combined.
- The average time spent on Instagram is 30 minutes.
- Up to 95 million (9.5%) platform users may be bots, costing marketers $1.3 billion.
- Approximately 30.94% of the 4.48 billion internet users worldwide regularly use Instagram.
- Instagram’s DAUs are 69 million more in numbers than the entire population of South America.
- 21% of users log in weekly, and 16% log in less often than that.
- 38% of users log in to the platform multiple times.
- 70% of people watch Instagram stories daily.
- 71.9% of the content on Instagram is photo posts.
- 130 million users tap on shopping posts each month.
- 40% of Instagrammers post stories daily.
Instagram Engagement Statistics
Thanks to the power of reels, engagement rates are at an all-time high. Instagram has long moved from being a photo-sharing app to a video-sharing platform, thereby emphasizing the use of both long-form and short-form video content.
Instagram statistics also highlight the importance of creating video content and using real faces in your content promotion to generate exponential engagement.
Instagram has seen an 80% increase in the time users spend watching videos on the platform. Photos with faces perform almost 40% better than those without faces. Look at more Instagram stats to understand the engagement dynamics of the platform.
- The average engagement rate for photo posts is 0.81%, video posts are 0.61%, and carousel posts are 1.08%.
- The highest Instagram Reels engagement rates are obtained by Instagram accounts with fewer than 5,000 followers, reaching up to 3.79% on average.
- Reels get 22% more interaction on Instagram than standard video posts.
- Instagram has seen an 80% increase in the time users spend watching videos on the platform.
- A total of 4.2 billion likes occur on Instagram each day.
- Longer captions get better engagement.
- On average, 10.7 hashtags are used in Instagram posts.
- Instagram has 58% more engagement per follower than Facebook.
- People are Spending Nearly 30 Minutes every day on Instagram.
- Photos with faces perform almost 40% better than those without faces.
- Videos get 21.2% more engagement compared to images.
- 2 billion people interact with reels every month.
- Instagram users engage more on weekdays, with Wednesday and Thursday showing the most engagement.
- Business accounts with fewer than 10,000 followers have an average engagement rate of 1.11%.
- Business accounts with 10,000-100,000 followers have an engagement rate of 0.93%.
- Users like 4.2 billion posts on Instagram each day.
- 61% of Gen Z TikTok users plan to spend more time on Reels
- Posts with tagged locations get 79% more engagement than those without tags.
Interesting read: 10 Useful Tips For Getting More Engagement On Instagram
Instagram Business Statistics
Are you worried if Instagram is even worth a shot for your business? The answer is a big YES!
Instagram has paved the way for entrepreneurs to expand their businesses online. From shoppable feeds to product tagging on Reels, stories, and posts, businesses are growing here in leaps and bounds.
You can even take a step ahead and optimize your bio with crisp descriptions. Add a link to your site and direct more traffic to your website.
Look at these Instagram statistics to use the platform to uplift your business.
- More than 25 million businesses use Instagram to promote their services and products.
- US-based online stores lead with 86% Instagram accounts, followed by 81% accounts from the U.K. and 75% from Germany-based online stores.
- 90% of accounts follow at least one business on Instagram.
- 62% of users say they are more interested in a brand after seeing it in an Instagram Story.
- 81% of Instagrammers use the platform for researching new products and services.
- 87% of Instagram users say they take action after seeing a product on Instagram.
- On average, major brands post on Instagram 1.5 times every day.
- 98% of fashion brands use Instagram.
- Over 150 million people use Instagram to communicate directly with a business monthly.
- 68% of weekly Instagram users visit the platform to interact with creators.
- 93% of marketers have already used Instagram to acquire potential new customers.
- 74% of marketers want to reach a new target audience, 69% want to improve brand awareness, and 46% want to increase sales.
- 54% of all influencers on Instagram are nano-influencers, while 33% are micro-influencers.
- 61% of consumers trust influencer recommendations more than brand content (38%).
- Nano-influencers are also on the rise, with the highest engagement rate, at 5%.
- 36% of businesses use stories to promote their products.
- 98% of fashion brands use Instagram.
- 67% of users watch branded stories.
- 73% of marketers are in favor of Instagram for influencer marketing.
- The average monthly follower growth of business accounts on Instagram is +1.46%.
- There are 500,000 active influencers on Instagram.
Instagram Ads Insights
Though the organic reach of Instagram is pretty decent, marketers still rely heavily on ads to outdo their fellow competitors. All credit goes to its wide range of ads feature that promotes your business in a very non-intrusive way. You can run ads easily from the app and target different demographics.
Before going for ads, though, consider boosting your best-performing posts. You can use the same for ads from Creator studio and reach out to the maximum number of people.
Also, Instagram statistics show that marketers spend 69% of their budget on influencer marketing on Instagram. So it is wise to consider influencer campaigns if you haven’t started yet. Check out more Instagram statistics to decide on the ad specifics.
- Instagram ads have the potential to reach 849.3 million users.
- Instagram marketers spend 69% of their budget on influencer marketing on Instagram.
- Micro-influencers, who generally have 50,000 – 100,000 fans, are used by businesses to advertise their products.
- The U.S. has the highest potential Instagram advertising reach, followed by India and Brazil.
- Instagram Stories ad revenue is expected to increase to 20.03 billion dollars in 2023.
- The highest Instagram advertising audience is from the 25-34 age group.
- Instagram’s advertising audience grew by 20.3%.
- 83% of consumers claim they use Instagram to discover new products or services.
- Instagram’s bogus bot accounts cost marketers an estimated $1.3 billion yearly in the advertising ecosystem.
- With Instagram, the average post will cost you between $100-$2,085.
- Video ads have 3x more engagement than photos.
Interesting read: 7 Effective Tips for Advertising on Instagram Stories
The marketing folks rely on Instagram for exemplary promotional feats. Especially after the booming popularity of Reels, users are seemingly captivated, which results in off-the-chart engagement rates for brands.
Better yet, its highly interactive visual shopping features make it a favorable platform for eCommerce stores to convert people into buyers.
With the above-mentioned Instagram statistics, we’re sure you’d be able to create a stellar Instagram marketing strategy.
As more features continue to be released, strive to build your presence by creating engaging posts and scheduling them with Instagram marketing tools.
You can even opt for a tool like SocialPilot that lets you curate content, schedule Instagram posts, Reels, and stories, append first comments to them, access conversations from Social Inbox, and more.
Take its 14-day free trial and empower your social media marketing not just on Instagram but on multiple platforms.