Instagram Collab posts: an innovative feature that’s reshaping how brands, influencers, and creators engage with their audiences and each other. In essence, Collab posts allow two users to co-author a single post, be it a feed post, Reel, or Story, appearing on both feeds simultaneously and amplifying your Instagram engagement.
This feature doubles the exposure by appearing in both collaborators’ feeds and consolidates likes, comments, and shares, offering a comprehensive view of the post’s impact.
Ideal for partnerships, promotions, and cross-branding efforts, Instagram collaboration posts are an indispensable tool for anyone looking to expand their social media presence.
Let’s dive into how to create one and creatively leverage this feature in 2024!
What Is an Instagram Collab Post?
First announced in October 2021, an Instagram Collab post is a dynamic way for two users to co-author and simultaneously publish a single post on both of their accounts. This collaborative post displays the usernames of both contributors and aggregates the engagement (likes, comments, and shares) from both sets of followers, effectively doubling its visibility and reach.
This collaboration typically includes content creators, influencers, brands, or individuals who come together to create and share a post that serves mutual goals and interests.
What makes a collab post unique?
- Dual Ownership: Both users’ names appear atop the post, symbolizing shared authorship.
- Extended Reach: The post, whether it’s a feed post, Reel, or Story, becomes visible to both sets of followers, amplifying its reach.
- Joint Profile Display: The post appears on the profile grids of both collaborators, reflecting their joint efforts.
- Shared Engagement: Likes, comments, and views are combined, offering a unified metric of engagement.
Collab posts on Instagram are a powerful way for individuals and brands to leverage each other’s audiences and creativity, resulting in increased visibility and engagement on the platform.
How to Create an Instagram Collab Post
Ready to create your first collab post on Instagram? Let’s walk through the process, but first, keep these key points in mind:
- Ownership and Removal: The original post owner controls the post. If they delete it or deactivate their account, the post will vanish from both profiles.
- Visibility Requirements: The original poster’s account should be public for maximum visibility.
- Account Reactivation: The collaborative post reappears on both profiles if the original poster reactivates their account.
Now, let’s dive into creating a collaborative post:
- Step 1: Create a standard post like you normally would and select ‘Tag people.’
- Step 2: Click ‘Invite collaborators.’
- Step 3: Use the search bar to find the user you would like to collaborate with (any number).
- Step 4: Share the post as usual, and the collaborators will receive a notification. When they’ve accepted the collab request, the post will appear on their feed with your username.
- Step 1: After uploading your Reel, tap ‘Tag people.’
- Step 2: Click ‘Invite collaborators,’ search, and choose the collaborator(s).
- Step 3: After finishing everything, select ‘Share.’ The collaborator(s) will receive a notification, and once they approve it, the Reel will be shared on their profile with your username.
- Step 1: Create and upload your Instagram Story.
- Step 2: Now open your Story and click on the three dots (More).
- Step 3: Select ‘Add Mentions,’ search, and choose the collaborators.
- Step 4: Click ‘Add,’ and the collaborator(s) will be notified about the collaboration.
- Once they accept it, their names will be displayed on the Story.
Benefits of Using Instagram Collab Posts
When it comes to benefits, there are numerous reasons why you should be making collab posts on Instagram. Some of them include:
1. Enhances Reach
Collaborating opens doors to new audiences. When you partner with someone, your content reaches their followers, and vice versa. This cross-pollination of audiences can significantly increase your reach, introducing your brand or profile to potential new followers.
2. Boosts Engagement
Higher engagement rates are one of the perks of the Instagram collab feature.
Collaboration posts tend to get people talking. When your content resonates with both your followers and your collaborator’s audience, you’ll see more likes, comments, and shares. The Instagram algorithm loves engagement, so this can improve your overall visibility.
3. Simplifies Content Creation
Content creation can be a real hustle, but collaborations make it easier. You and your collaborator(s) can brainstorm ideas, create content together, and even split tasks.
Freshness in content often gets overlooked, but with multiple collaborators working together, you benefit not only from fresh ideas and different perspectives but also complementary skills, leading to more creativity and time savings.
4. Builds Brand Authenticity
Last but not least, authenticity is one critical component to standing out in this IG creator’s jungle.
With nearly 2.35 billion people reacting to Reels monthly, users love to interact with good content, but it needs one essential ingredient – authenticity.
Collaborations with like-minded partners can help reinforce your brand’s authenticity. When aligned with partners who share your values and aesthetics, you create content that resonates with your target audience, building trust and credibility.
6 Creative Ways to Use Instagram Collab Posts in 2024 [Examples]
Struggling to brainstorm fresh ideas for your next Instagram collaboration?
Well, you’re in the right place.
Let’s dive into six super creative strategies that brands and creators are using to amplify their reach:
1. Collaborating With Influencers and Content Creators
Collaborating with influencers and content creators who align with your brand can create something really special.
This partnership allows for storytelling that’s both authentic and resonates with your audience. When these collaborators share their unique experiences with your brand, it’s like giving your audience a VIP pass to what’s trending and trustworthy.
And hey, why not mix it up with some behind-the-scenes action?
For instance, an influencer doing a day-in-the-life with your product or taking over your Insta for a day. It’s raw, it’s real, and it’s a hit with the audience.
2. Partnering With Other Brands
Collabs aren’t just about people; they’re about brands too.
Find a brand that complements yours and create something epic together. Imagine a coffee brand and a menstrual hygiene brand creating a giveaway campaign. It’s like telling your audience, “We understand your love for coffee and worry about menstrual health.” That’s what @peesafe and @ragecoffee_ did with their collaboration.
How about co-creating a limited edition something? It could be anything – a fashion piece, a gadget, a flavor – the sky’s the limit. Tease it, launch it, and watch the buzz grow.
3. Showcasing User-Generated Content
Real talk – there’s nothing more powerful than showing off how real customers love and use your products. There’s a unique power in showcasing real customers’ experiences with your products. It authenticates your brand and creates a sense of community.
Something you can consider trying for your brand?
Consider implementing a ‘Customer of the Month’ feature. It’s a heartfelt way to acknowledge and appreciate your customers, showing them and your wider audience that you value their support and engagement.
4. Tagging Contest Winners
Who doesn’t love a good contest?
Use Collab posts to announce your winners and make them feel like celebs. It’s a win-win: they get their moment of fame, and your audience gets amped up to participate next time.
And why not throw in some interactive challenges?
Encourage your audience to use your product in innovative ways and feature these creations. It’s a strategy that not only fosters engagement but also highlights the versatility and appeal of your products.
5. Allowing Creative Freedom to Collaborators
Giving creative control to your collaborators can lead to some astonishing content. By empowering them to infuse their unique personality and creativity into your brand’s narrative, you keep the content vibrant and engaging. This approach offers your audience something fresh and unexpected, keeping their interest piqued.
A good example here is the Reel collaboration below between @Apple and @hannibalsaikaku. You can consider starting a series where each collaborator contributes their distinctive touch. It’s akin to offering your audience a new, intriguing episode of their favorite series every week.
Such a strategy not only maintains engagement but also showcases the versatility of your brand through diverse creative lenses.
6. Being Strategic About Audience Targeting
Last but not least, be smart about who you’re speaking to.
Want to tap into the Gen Z crowd? Partner with influencers they adore.
Looking to go local? Team up with brands or influencers from that area and add a local twist to your content.
This approach is all about forging deeper connections with your audience by speaking directly to their interests and preferences. It’s a strategic way to ensure your content is not just seen but also feels relevant and engaging to the viewers.
How to Accept an Instagram Collab Request
You’ve created the posts and sent a request for a collaboration. What next? The collaborator(s) need to accept the invitation to complete the task.
How do you do that?
First, the collaborator(s) needs to open their Instagram account and follow the below steps for feed posts and Reels:
- Step 1: Click on the ‘Notifications’ and select the posts/Reels you’re tagged in.
- Step 2: You’ll find a message saying, “@username invited you to be a collaborator on their post/Reel.” Tap ‘Review.’
- Step 3: Select ‘Accept’ to join the post or Reel as a collaborator.
On the other hand, for Stories:
- Step 1: From your ‘Notifications’ and tap ‘Mentions.’
- Step 2: Click on ‘Add to your story.’
- Step 3: Resize the Story as per your requirements and share.
How to Remove Yourself as a Collaborator from a Post?
Here’s how you can remove the collaboration as a collaborator.
- Step 1: From your post/Reel, click on the three dots on the top.
- Step 2: Click ‘Stop sharing,’ and from the pop-up, select the ‘Stop sharing’ warning to accept it.
You’ve successfully done it.
And there you have it – a comprehensive guide to making your Instagram Collabs pop in 2024.
It all boils down to authenticity, creativity, and forming a genuine, exciting connection with your audience. But remember, the world of social media is always evolving. Staying ahead of the curve means being open to new ideas, embracing change, and always being willing to experiment.