More About Giveaway
The origin of giveaways can be traced back to the mid-nineteenth century when retailers enticed customers with the promise of free gifts on a purchase. Not much has changed since then except for the scale of giveaways and the ways of participating in one. Today, international giveaways are hosted to reach a global audience, especially on social media.
Brands on social media often turn to giveaways to reach a wider audience, promote new products, or host brand collaborations. As everybody loves to win, businesses can host giveaways on social media to attract the target audience, boost engagement, and supercharge conversations about the brand.
These contests ultimately increase social media followers, brand awareness, loyalty, and leads. Now that you have the answer to ‘what is a giveaway,’ here are a few ways in which a giveaway is advantageous to a brand:
- You can ask your followers or subscribers to like, share, or tag their social media contacts in your post’s comment section, helping you to reach out to more people.
- You can appeal to your followers to sign up or submit the necessary details by filling up a form on your website. You can ask for your followers’ names or email IDs, which helps gather and convert leads.
- You can collaborate with various brands or influencers to attract a new audience and expand your reach.
- Your followers and subscribers will remain tuned in to your social media handle for more interesting opportunities to engage with your brand.
Organizing a giveaway on social media is easy. Here is what you have to do:
- Start by setting your objectives and the kind of giveaway you want to launch.
- Establish a budget and the prize. You can give away a product, a cash prize, or anything else.
- Know your audience and select the right social media platform for the giveaway.
- Plan your giveaway strategy. Set contest rules, plan activities, and launch the giveaway.
- After the giveaway ends, measure its performance against the goals you set before launching it. This evaluation can help you improve your strategies.
The image below shows a perfect example of a social media giveaway. It is a post from a design studio that had organized a giveaway to celebrate its first 1000 followers.
The participants were required to follow the design studio’s Instagram handle, tag a friend in the post’s comment section, and tag other contacts. The post mentions the contest details, including when they would announce the winners and what the winners would get as prizes.