Digital marketing is now indispensable.
And with more businesses jostling for attention, the spend on the same is also increasing.
Numbers prove that business spending in digital marketing and advertising is estimated to reach 210 billion USD in 2023. The digital marketing industry is expanding exponentially and so is the job market of that industry.
What brands need right now is talented digital marketers, like you.
But what do you need to grab a position in this competitive industry?
A digital marketer must possess excellent communication skills, creative flair, problem-solving skills, expertise with data analytics, and the ability to adapt to new market trends.
But is that enough to land that dream digital marketing job of yours?
What you need is the right set of interview questions with possible answers that’d prepare you for a job.
And, we’ve designed a list of 45 such essential digital marketing interview questions and answers to help you in your interview preparation. The answers here, of course, serve as a reference, and you can extract what’s relevant to you.
Let’s get this started.
Digital Marketing Interview Questions and Answers to Measure Skills and Experience
1. Tell me about your best digital marketing campaign and how it performed.
You can mention your most successful and least effective campaign from your experience. If asked about an unsuccessful campaign, remember that it’s okay to admit a mistake. Just follow it up by describing the corrective measures you took.
Here is an example of a well-performing campaign for reference.
My best-performing digital campaign was for a famous Pizza brand. The campaign objective was to increase visibility, reduce cost per customer acquisition and branding. Our team helped correct the brand’s online hygiene.
Other famous food aggregators’ names would pop up first when customers searched for their brand. The brand’s goal was to appear before its competitors on the SERPs. Through Search Channel Optimization (SCO), creating a Google Business Profile page and adding alt-tags to their product images, we were able to fix this problem.
I suggested mentioning the social cause of feeding the poor that the company was already supporting. We added this information to their website to improve the company’s branding. We also generated many customers using bloggers, digital ads, and brand tie-ups to reduce acquisition costs.
2. What, according to you, is the best metric to track for an inbound marketing campaign?
I think lead conversion is one of the best metrics to track the performance of an inbound marketing campaign. However, we cannot ignore other core metrics like organic traffic or click-through and bounce rates.
3. How do you see SEO in the years to come? What will be the biggest challenges?
Modern marketing is based on content, and displaying the content in front of the right audience will be the need of every industry.
Challenge: Growing knowledge of SEO black hat strategy and other malpractices to show information on search engines. Many audiences can be misguided and fed with wrong information, leading to unpleasant scenarios.
4. Have you ever helped your company’s content rank higher in search engines? If so, how did you accomplish that?
Yes, my previous company has achieved higher SERP rankings multiple times. As an executive, I have corrected meta tags, fixed headers, written keyword-focused blogs, repurposed articles and generated backlinks. As a digital manager, I have ensured that these activities are performed with accuracy by the team that I’ve led.
5. Describe a marketing automation campaign that you set up.
I designed and led a campaign to run paid ads on social media. We set up a bot to automate responses for quick customer service. The bot would initiate a chat with the customers and provide relevant information to help them make purchase decisions effectively.
6. Describe a successful social media marketing campaign that you were involved with. What was your role, what were the results, and how did you accomplish those results?
Campaign Objective: Generate leads of people who have a loan requirement
Campaign Execution: Run paid ads, social media optimization, generate testimonials, and verification of eligibility criteria for loan
Results: Decreased cost per acquisition to 50% with excellent lead quality.
7. What industries have you worked for before?
I have worked for the food, hotel, and transportation industry as a digital marketer.
8. What marketing channels do you have experience with?
I have hands-on experience with email, content and social media marketing. I also have expert knowledge and experience with search engine marketing, paid ads, influencer marketing and mobile marketing.
9. How would you orchestrate a successful product launch for low and high-budget?
For a low-budget product launch, it is imperative to be clear on the campaign objective, be it quick results or good deliverables.
Whereas for a high-budget product launch, many activities can be performed to create an excellent sales funnel. The steps may consist of determining your target customer, defining your positioning, creating the product launch and promotion strategy, along with the stakeholder buy-in.
With both the campaigns, you’ll finalize promotional channels and content and launch the product. It is essential to monitor the campaign performance and make revisions as necessary.
10. Have you ever managed other people? What is your preferred style of leadership?
Yes, I have been leading teams for the past two years. I prefer to lead by example. I ensure constant communication within the team, encourage the members and check if they have all the required resources to complete the projects successfully.
11. Tell me about a time you didn’t have sufficient resources (time, money, talent) to get the job done. What did you do?
I’m aware that a business may suffer some challenges due to unforeseen circumstances. When the resources aren’t enough, outsourcing certain services or working with automation tools or software can be pretty helpful.
Questions to Evaluate Your Perceptiveness
12. What would you change or alter in our existing website/social media/marketing strategy?
I think that your current website/social media/marketing strategy is already giving you great results. But we can aim higher by
- Adding a mix of varied post types, including polls, quizzes and Livestreams
- Occasionally use niche keywords in articles and meta-tags and see how it affects the website’s organic traffic
- Include multiple CTA tabs on the website and introduce pop-ups to increase email list count.
13. Tell me about a time when a project’s needs and scope drastically changed – how did you respond, and what was the project’s outcome?
I once had the opportunity to work with a small hotel chain. My team tried many strategies to increase revenue by targeting corporates and families, but our output wasn’t as expected. We carried out extensive research and analysis, but we could not determine why the strategy wasn’t performing as we intended.
We realized that the brand didn’t have an impressive online image. We changed our strategy to focus on collecting and highlighting positive customer reviews.
We connected with an influencer to whom the target audience could relate and appointed them as the brand ambassador. We created a content strategy to promote the new brand image.
After regular posts, we established the new brand image, resulting in increased reach and better engagement from their target audience. Their social media following also saw a significant increase.
14. What do you know about Gray hat SEO?
Gray hat SEO combines white and black hat SEO strategies to increase page rankings. I personally don’t use or encourage the use of Gray hat SEO, given the risks involved.
15. Who is the most and least favorite buyer persona you’ve ever marketed to? Why?
A ‘decisive’ buyer persona is my favorite as they’re easy to work with. My least favorite is the ‘skeptical’ buyer persona, as they take the longest to convert and may even ghost you at times.
16. How do you cope with changing digital marketing trends?
Digital marketing requires staying up-to-date with the latest trends and developments. I read various blogs, listen to podcasts, attend webinars and workshops, and follow official social media accounts of platforms or tools that I use.
17. What do you think of traditional marketing?
Digital Marketing is booming right now, but that doesn’t mean traditional marketing can be neglected. Instead, I believe a hybrid of both marketing styles can be used to optimize marketing and deliver better results and ROIs.
18. How do you determine which marketing channels are optimal for your target market?
Creating user profiles to get detailed information about the target demographic can help determine their most preferred marketing channels. Later, a small market survey and a test campaign with a minimum budget can be performed to judge whether the chosen channel works.
19. How do you measure success or failure on a specific marketing campaign?
I always divide the objective of the campaign results into various stages. If the results are not being met in the initial stages, the campaign is not performing.
20. How comfortable are you in using large amounts of data to guide decision-making?
I am comfortable working with large amounts of data. The more credible data I have access to, the easier it would be to analyze and make decisions.
21. What’s one tactic you used that significantly increased leads?
Creating content that the target audience can relate to and supplementing it with creatives that match the brand aesthetics have helped improve lead generation for my previous project.
22. How do you gain a deep understanding of your target audience?
I’ve observed how creating customer profiles has significantly helped increase understanding of a target audience. Not only does this encourage personalized content that customers love, but brands can create targeted content and avoid losing out on potential leads. Customer profiles should be descriptive, i.e., they must include demographic, psychological and socioeconomic information.
23. Can you tell me about a time when you adopted a unique, new, or unconventional approach to a strategic initiative?
Sure. I once came up with an online contest for a notable juice company to increase awareness and engagement. We asked the brand’s online followers to submit customized bottle designs with the brand’s custom hashtags on social media. We selected the 15 best designs and posted them on the brand’s account to encourage voting.
A winner was selected based on the vote count. They received one month of free juice with their custom design and name on it. The winner was also featured on the brand’s Instagram profile following their win.
24. Why do you think a sales funnel is related to digital marketing?
A sales funnel is built with a specific objective, e.g., getting the customers to buy the service or product and become loyal customers.
Digital marketing can drive traffic and employ various tactics to move them along the funnel using AIDA: Awareness, Interest, Desire, and Action to reach the final objective.
25. When it comes to influencing customer behavior, what elements do you believe are the most important?
Psychological, economic and lifestyle patterns can be essential for influencing customer behavior.
26. What new marketing tactic have you recently tried, and what did you learn?
Recently, I delved into short video creation for product promotions on TikTok. I have learned that people like to take existing content and put their creative spin on it, giving them the joy of participation and creativity.
This works in the brand’s favor as they can increase customer engagement by creating catchy phrases, dialogues, and jingles to accompany the videos.
27. What are some best practices for website optimization?
Website optimization can be achieved by aligning content with the search intent, mobile-friendliness, SEO optimization, interlinking of articles, utilizing keywords in content and URLs, and focusing on-page speed optimization.
28. How would you improve conversion rates on a website?
I think it’s important to test multiple website elements, maybe through split testing, and note what elements work and what needs to go. Based on the data, we can ease the site’s functionality, add alt-tags on images, include videos wherever possible and include customer reviews or user-generated content on product pages.
29. How do you decide on an SEO strategy for a website?
I have been implementing Brian Dean’s method for creating an SEO strategy. It includes keyword list creation, analyzing Google’s first page, creating different or better content, and adding a hook to generate interest.
These steps are followed by optimizing for on-page SEO and search intent, content design, link building, and updating website content.
30. What is your favorite social media platform, and why?
As a digital marketer, I like using Facebook (Meta). Not only does the platform have the most number of active users, but it also offers a variety of business tools such as Conversions API, Facebook Pixel and a Business Suite.
31. Why does it make sense to invest in video content nowadays?
Videos have become a customer favorite, with most people making purchase decisions after watching product videos. They are consumed more, shared more and offer impressive ROIs. People also tend to retain more information through videos as compared to text.
32. How do you repurpose content for each type of platform?
I like to create high-quality content that can occasionally be repurposed for other social media platforms.
Facebook: YouTube Livestreams or general videos can be turned into concise text posts for Facebook.
Instagram: Screenshots of YouTube videos and blog article quotes can be added to the brand’s Instagram profile. Sometimes, we can post a minute or two of extracted videos for reels or typed information like quotes or stories.
Twitter: Any relevant quotes from Instagram, Facebook, website blogs can be tweeted, including the links to the original articles.
Pinterest: Posting relevant infographics from other platforms or creating new infographics to supplement long-form articles.
33. What are some of the biggest mistakes you see marketers make when developing marketing strategies?
One of the biggest mistakes a marketer can make is launching campaigns without sufficient research. Missing CTAs and neglecting SEO or social marketing efforts can also fail campaigns.
34. What current trends do you think will be popular in the upcoming years?
I think Influencer marketing, audio & video-based content and user-generated content will continue to be popular in the future as well.
35. How do you create and refine your digital marketing strategy?
I usually establish or confirm a campaign goal with the client. The next step is to identify the target audience and check the brand’s current digital strategy. I design the content strategy, select the preferred marketing platforms, set metrics, and apply best practices.
Once that’s done, I put the campaign in motion, and evaluate its performance in a timely manner and make revisions whenever required.
36. What kinds of goals do you build your digital strategy around?
I focus on the three goals of adding product or service value, business profitability, and customer engagement
37. How would you assist our company in increasing potential buyers?
To attract the attention of buyers, we’ll have to focus on creating content that caters to them. Therefore, we can create customer profiles to learn more about the target leads.
Once we’ve established that, we can create personalized content and publish it at various times to check when we have more engagement. In-built or third-party tools can be utilized to confirm the best posting times.
Interesting read: An Ultimate Guide Discovering the Best Times To Post on Social Media
We can continue posting high-quality targeted content containing clear CTAs and offering occasional giveaways to increase conversions.
Planning and Preparation
Digital Marketing has an extensive requirement for skilled professionals. A digital marketing manager requires technical and industry knowledge, along with being proactive and goal-oriented.
These tips can be helpful in your interview prep:
- Before the interview, familiarize yourself thoroughly with the company and its digital marketing activities.
- Make a list of your accomplishments as a digital marketing manager that you can utilize in the interview.
- Review your online presence. If you’ve added your social media profiles to your resume, the recruiters will surely check them out.
- Create a list of your own questions to ask the employers what they expect from the perfect candidate.
- Refrain from overusing jargon and center your answers around how you can benefit the employer.
These digital marketing manager interview questions and answers can be used as a guide to prepare you for your job interview. Feel free to personalize the answers and add your spin to them to ensure authenticity.
And don’t forget to use SocialPilot for seamless social scheduling and analytics and much more.
Try it for free today.