Several businesses see social media success as an opportunity to enhance their brand visibility and increase awareness among their target audience. They often misinterpret this success with rigorous posting.
If you are a social media agency that handles multiple clients and believe in more posting, then there are chances of you missing out on your ROI targets.
Blindly posting content without analyzing the insights into your audience’s behavior, preferences, and trends won`t be of much help. You need social media analytic tools to get a deeper understanding of your audience and help you with data-driven decision-making.
But what exactly are social media analytics tools?
Social media analytic tools are software designed to help you interpret the data gathered from social platforms to support your business goals. With these tools, you can monitor and track your engagement levels, spot trends, and see what’s the ROI on your social media efforts.
Additionally, if you are puzzled about whether studying the performance metrics of your social media profiles is worth the time and effort, these analytics tools can resolve all your doubts.
How we analyze and select Social Media Analytics Tools:
This list of exceptional social media analytics tools has been formulated through in-depth research and experiential analysis. We have considered various aspects of the tool, such as user engagement, G2 ratings and reviews, price points, and scalability. The list ranking also reflects the evaluation of these tools’ competencies in automation, content production, visualization, analytics, and collaborative features. Our goal in curating this list is to enable marketers to choose tools that will help scale their business.
There is a wide range of tools ranging from social media schedulers and competitor analytics tools to social media tracking tools for diversified insights.
|Suitable For||Agency, Small Business, Enterprise||Professional Teams, Small business, Enterprises||Freelancers, Startup Agencies, Growing Agencies||SMBs, Agencies, Multi-Location Brands|
|Whitelabel Report in PDF Format|
|Email PDF Report to Client|
|Auto Schedule Report with Team and Client|
|Custom Report Builder|
Use these social media analytics and reporting tools to better craft your social media strategy and stay ahead of your competitors.
Built-In Free Social Media Analytics Tools
Top social networks like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter have their analytics dashboards built in. These analytics dashboards are designed to offer various analytics insights. Some examples of important metrics from social media analytics include conversion rate, click-through rates, engagement rate, impressions per mile, and leads.
If your social presence is limited to these avenues, these free social media analytics tools will measure ROI to provide an excellent starting point toward understanding your audience.
But they have limited scope, and users may find themselves with heaps of data from individual social media platforms without proper processing.
That’s why you must have robust social media analytics software to accurately measure the reach, impact, and potential of social media marketing. Here are our top picks for the best paid and free social media analytics tools worth exploring.
Agorapulse schedules posts, analyzes performance, and monitors hashtags and keywords. Though it doesn’t really qualify as a social media analytics tool per se, its analytics and reporting feature makes it an excellent tool for beginners to get a clear picture of overall social media performance. So, you cannot have a social media analytics tools comparison discussion without this tool.
Agorapulse also has an asset library, so you can reuse the same assets for multiple posts. It also has team collaboration features for regulating workflows.
- It provides great social media competitor analytics.
- It provides insightful community management reports such as response and conversation rates to show how well your customer/community interaction is.
- The topic-wise labeling feature allows you to track the analytics of your post and generate reports quickly.
Verified Agorapulse User
The inboxing feature is something our team enjoys the most.
- It does not give Pinterest publishing, analytics, and reporting features.
- Agorapulse provides basic reports making them less useful for agencies.
- For the features it offers, Agorapulse is priced quite high.
Unfortunately, the reporting is pretty weak. We actually use another third-party app to pull .csv files for loading into Google Sheets and Google Data Studio. Agorapulse will allow you to export mostly PowerPoints (which aren’t that pretty) and some .csv files for very basic social metrics. I’m also not sure there are any real metrics for paid advertising as well.
Social Status is a dedicated social media analytics tool perfect for agencies and digital marketers who need multi-channel reporting and the ability to white label and customize their reports to suit different clients. The dashboard contains all the metrics you need in real-time.
Reports can be exported to CSV, PDF, PowerPoint, and Google Slides.
This social media audit tool also tracks Facebook Ad Accounts for reporting on paid campaigns. You can also benchmark performance against influencers and measure your influencer marketing campaigns too.
- There is a free plan.
- You get in-depth stats and metrics for all the main social media channels.
- It is simple to use and has an intuitive design.
I like that I have all of the tools I need to build a report in one place. It reduces the amount of time for me to build a report. It also highlights the most important facts about my report.
- It only focuses on analytics and reporting, with no publishing or management features.
- Higher plans can be expensive.
I have had occasions in the past where reports took quite a while to generate, particularly if you were doing one over a longer period of time. However, this seems to be less of an issue now.
Google Analytics is one of the best ways to track social media campaigns and even helps you measure social ROI.
But is Google Analytics actually a social media tool?
Google Analytics has an image of being an SEO analytics tool. However, it is also used as one of the most valuable social media reporting tools for analyzing the trend of social media traffic.
You can also find out the most effective network that’s yielding you the best results for your campaigns. There are also several custom filter options for diversified reporting.
- It’s completely free.
- It’s compatible with multiple digital environments like websites, mobile applications, etc., including Google Ads accounts.
- It collects data from multiple sources, creates goals, and tracks them thoroughly.
- It gives you customized reports for better decision-making capabilities.
Google Analytics provides us meaningful insights about our website to improve it accordingly, attract new visitors and increase our potential customers.
- There’s a lot of learning involved to understand the tool.
- It has multiple dashboards, which can be overwhelming if you are not sure what you are doing.
- If you want to upgrade your free plan, it will cost you a whopping $150K a year.
Financially not an option at times. Although I know it increases traffic, I feel Google has complete control and can redirect according to who pays. Google used to be good, but now they are only loyal to money and could care less about helping small businesses. I’m thinking Yahoo is better.
If hosting contests on social media platforms is your thing, then ShortStack is the best social media metrics tool for you. It lets you manage everything, starting with entry data to long-term campaign performance.
It allows visitors to fill in their details on the page and unlock special offers, including e-books, discount codes, or giveaways. It also has customizable features like landing page templates in various colors and eye-catching fonts, widgets for forms, polls, and galleries.
- It’s effortless to design, launch, and monitor, even for beginners.
- It has a drag and drop interface to customize colors, fonts, widgets, etc., to give your visitors an elevated experience.
- It gives you the ability to embed any analytics tag for tracking conversions or retargeting.
ShortStack is a very robust and easy-to-use tool. There is a bit of a learning curve on all the widgets, but once you figure them out, it makes developing your entry site a snap.
- ShortStack is a contest platform, so it might not be the best fit if you are looking to manage social media and get analytics.
- The tool offers comprehensive contest analytics but doesn’t consider entry-fee processing.
- ShortStack doesn’t necessarily increase your profile views or followers.
It’s a very complex piece of software to program, and the workflow isn’t always intuitive. It left me with a few customer grievances, unfortunately. Doors opening at the wrong time and people missing out on offers.
Keyhole can provide real-time performance analysis of the industry. It’s one of the best social media dashboard tools in the market that helps brands understand which hashtags are trending among followers.
Businesses can leverage Keyhole’s social listening and monitoring features and even track campaign-specific analytics on Twitter and Instagram. You can also use social media reporting tools like this to keep an eye on your competitors.
- Keyhole produces valuable reports to keep clients well-informed. You can even download them in PDF format.
- Historical data and influencer management features are available.
- Track conversations about your brand across blogs, forums, and news websites.
The metrics given on Keyhole are unmatched and help us in setting KPIs and measuring results accordingly. The layout is also very user-friendly, and everything is exportable, so that’s wonderful.
- Free and paid versions differ dramatically.
- You may have to set up trackers beforehand.
I felt like it broke A LOT. Sometimes info would not be pulled, the reports would be screwed up, etc. When I requested help, I was made to feel like I was the one making mistakes when I was a pretty savvy user (imo).
Professionals, Small teams, Small-medium businesses, and Enterprises.
Since its arrival, Hootsuite has been serving its users as an all-rounder solution for all things social media. The tool caters to a wide range of users, be it solo entrepreneurs, small businesses, large organizations, or marketing agencies with multitudes of clients.
Softwares like Hootsuite allow you to not only manage scheduling and content publishing but also help you monitor the analytics of their performance at the same time.
While keeping an eye on the important KPIs of your social media posts, it also shows you how your audience is interacting with a minute focus on engagement metrics.
The main dashboard of Hootsuite is loaded with capabilities for monitoring engagement on multiple social media platforms. However, its complicated appearance makes the tool difficult to master for newbies. So we recommend using user-friendly Hootsuite alternatives.
Hootsuite offers five pricing tiers after a 30-day trial, ranging from $99/month to $249/month, catering to different social account and user needs.
- Publishing: The tool’s robust scheduling and publishing features let you craft and schedule multiple posts at once to be published at the time of your choosing.
- Ananlytics: Access comprehensive analytics data from connected profiles across multiple platforms, all conveniently displayed in a centralized dashboard for actionable insights.
- Social Listening: his feature helps users stay attuned to online trends and diligently monitor brand mentions, keywords, and hashtags. You can glean valuable insights into the prevailing public sentiment for their brand.
- Social Media Ads: Manage Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn ad campaigns within Hootsuite’s intuitive dashboard.
- Team Collaboration: Enhance teamwork by assigning clear roles for efficient workflow and project management.
- AI Writer: Use AI-powered writing tools to streamline the creation of engaging social media post captions for faster and more effective content generation.
We went through a hundred user reviews for Hootsuite, gathered from trusted review platforms like G2 and Capterra. After carefully analyzing each of them in respect to all the features of the tool, we have gathered these insights.
- The in-depth analytics insights provided by Hootsuite got a positive reception from 54.55% of users, with equal appreciation for the ease of use for accessing all the data.
- The tool makes KPI monitoring of social profiles for users very easy.
- 54.5% also find the ability to generate customizable reports very helpful for easy data visualization according to their convenience.
- Hootsuite analytics also allows competitor analysis, which proved to be invaluable for 18.20% of users to get insights about their position in the market.
- 11% were satisfied with the real-time analytics and alerts, which makes it really convenient for users to keep track of their social media performance.
- Although available, 45.4% of users found customization options in the reports of Hootsuite to be limited.
- Despite giving accurate data most of the time, nearly two-thirds of all the users found the analytics presentation to be hard to decipher.
- n encountering problems with report creation, 19.20% of the users found the process to be complex.
- Nearly 15.20% of people were unsatisfied with Hootsuite’s inability to export detailed reports with minutely granular data.
- A frequently repeated complaint from users was that Hootsuite was only able to retrieve limited historical data, which restricted them from doing long-term analysis.
As the name suggests, Rival IQ is a source for getting social media competitor analysis. The tool also analyzes your brand’s performance on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Pinterest.
It has a robust competitor benchmarking that allows marketers to understand their clients’ social stats compared to their competitors. The analysis from the platform enables marketers to quickly gauge trending content and tweak their strategies for maximum impact.
- RivalIQ puts competitors and the company on the same platform and derives comparative information from various social media channels.
- It has a diverse reporting feature that consists of customizable slideshows and PDFs.
The insights from Rival IQ inform a lot of how we plan and execute our social media strategy. To be able to see a snapshot of our competition across the league is invaluable as well.
- The platform’s subscription is tier-based, so you either have to pay more or swap with other plans if you want to add more rival companies.
- You cannot gather enough historical data using this social media data collection tool.
- It is not an all-in-one option. You might encounter issues with its social media management and listening capabilities.
Verified Rival IQ Reviewer
I found that the data that we wanted was sometimes not available through the software, and we either had to go into the platform directly, such as Facebook, to get it.
Sendible is one of the popular social media reporting tools primarily meant for larger agencies and teams. It has features like post publishing, analytics, and community management built in.
This social media audit tool focuses on collaboration and has easy approval protocols to ensure the swiftness of social media management. It also supports integrations with popular blogging platforms for easy content management.
- It lets you handle multiple social media accounts and allows you to manage workflows and delegate tasks efficiently.
- It helps you generate new leads and measure your ROIs.
My organization really enjoys how organized Sendible is. By assigning each other particular tasks, we are able to increase our workload.
- Users report frequent glitches and reconnection issues.
- It is intimidating and confusing to navigate through the dashboard.
This software is so glitchy. I often have to log out and back in to make features work. Sometimes they disappear altogether, or when I click them, they don’t fire. The users and accounts in the administration settings only work about 20% of the time.
Mention is another social media analytics tool that monitors keywords, does competitive analysis, and finds relevant influencers in your niche. A popular feature of Mention is its ‘alerts’ system that notifies you in real-time whenever set keywords are mentioned.
It also mails you your analytics report every day. It gives you instant access to all your brand mentions and lets you filter analytics to focus on specific metrics.
- Its UI is clean and simple to use. Users can easily navigate through it.
- It lets you download your data in excel.
I love that Mention goes beyond normal links in articles and blogs and even searches through comment sections. It’s a great way to hear customer feedback, not just from our customers but from your competitors as well. The interface is beautiful, intuitive, and easy to use for all tasks.
- The support team isn’t proactive in solving problems.
- The platform is slow and buggy at times.
Verified Mention User
I don’t know why my activity is reported sometimes and not others. I have no one at Mention who can guide me on how to get relevant/the best results with their platform. I get a lot of irrelevant Mentions concerning people with the same name as me. There should be a way to exclude their activity from being reported to me.
Brand24 is one of the popular social media data collection tools that helps you to improve your social media presence. It offers features like competitive analysis, tracking campaign analytics, overall social media performance, and more.
Its sentiment analysis feature is top grade. Brand24 segregates all of your brand mentions under positive and negative sentiments to understand your brand impact online.
You can even download reports in PDF and Excel formats and share them with your team and clients.
- The learning curve isn’t steep.
- Customer support is approachable and attentive to resolving tickets.
The platform has a very good and widely renowned capability to optimize a marketing strategy building process, it can be integrated solidly and very quickly. The program has definitely coordinated a follow-up process to market needs.
- The tool is pricey for the features it offers.
- Results can be spammy and fake at times
It would be ideal if Brand24 had faster results and a more specific opinion filter, it would also be good if the team considered supporting the development of analysis and audit reports. There are some things that can be improved. I also find that certain functions are not that intuitive to find.
Whether you run a marketing agency or work as an in-house marketer, Whatagraph is a social media audit tool that has everything you need to report your results. You can use it to create functional, professional looking reports in as little as a few minutes.
With more than 40 data sources available and 95+ templates, you’ll have all the tools you need to create a report for your client or manager. Social media, e-commerce platforms, SEO and SEM tools – Whatagraph covers it all.
- 40+ data sources
- 95+ report templates
- Fully customizable reports with white-labeling features
- Personalized 30-minute onboarding and setup session for each customer
I love how easy this tool is to use, everyone on the team finds it much more user-friendly than other dashboards. Integration was easy, we sent some example reports to the team who duplicated these for us. We literally had to log in and send it to our clients!
- Might be expensive for smaller agencies
- Only annual pricing plans are available
The development cycle is aimed at pleasing the greatest number of people, which means very specific requests might never make it.
Talkwalker is another great reporting software that gives free unlimited searches for hashtags and keywords for all major social media platforms. Monitor conversations from more than 150 million data sources and analyze engagement, mentions, sentiments, reach, comments, top posts, and more.
This brand monitoring platform lets you compare your performance to your competitors across multiple channels.
- Monitor what people say about your brand, products, events, or campaigns.
- Track your brand mentions in real time.
- Shows demographic data like age, gender, and occupation of your audience.
I have been using Talkwalker for more than 3 years now. I like the depth the tool can go into bringing results. Even when a nano influencer or small media website mentions your brand, Talkwalker’s web crawlers don’t disappoint you and show you the results in almost real time.
- Tagging in Talkwalker is slow.
- Managing the account is complex.
Verified User in Aviation & Aerospace
Trapped. Easy to set up, impossible to get away from it. Ugh, you can’t delete your account without going through a 3rd party request, which still hasn’t worked. Users can’t delete accounts in settings, zero ability to control your account. Results include every job posting on the planet. In other words, if you want an alert for ICH Q9, instead of getting information on ICH Q9, you get every single job posting that lists ICHQ9 as part of the job, which =every quality professional on earth.
Businesses need to manage multiple accounts and constantly have an eye on social analytics. A cross-platform social media analytics and reporting tool will make this task incredibly easy by aggregating high-volume data from various platforms and presenting them in downloadable reports.
From the social media analytics tools comparison above, we can say that investing in the right social media analytics and reporting tool like SocialPilot can help you benchmark your efforts. The best part is you can take a 14-day free trial before making a long-term commitment.
This one-stop solution for your social media marketing is guaranteed to save you time and ditch all manual labor for good. So wait no more and get started now!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is social media analytics important?
Social media analytics is important to measure the effectiveness of your social media efforts. It lets you know if your strategy is working or needs some tweaking. You can also find out which social media site is working best so you can take steps towards improving your presence there.
What is social media analytics used for?
Social Media Analytics is used for tracking and monitoring social media metrics such as reach, impression, clicks, website visits, likes, replies, tags, mentions, etc. You can even compare them against your competitors to find the engagement gaps and take strategic actions to fill in those.
What are social media analytics tools?
Social media analytics tools help you analyze your complete social media accounts from audience growth, post-performance, demographics, hashtag analysis, the most engaged people on your profiles to competitor profile analysis.
Which is the best social media analytics tool?
SocialPilot is one of the best social media analytics tools out there. The tool makes it quite simple to track metrics for social media campaigns for each of your profiles separately. You can track content engagement, audience growth, demographics, and influencers. Also, with this social media analytics software, users can plan, publish, promote, and create reports under social media banners.
How do you get social media analytics for free?
Thankfully, almost all social media platforms offer free social media analytics through their built-in social media and analytics dashboard. For Facebook and Instagram, you can consider using the insights section of the dashboard, whereas you can try out the Analytics section for Twitter and Pinterest.
Is there a free alternative to Hootsuite?
SocialPilot, a robust tool that offers powerful publishing and insightful analytics, is more beneficial to businesses and digital marketing agencies than Hootsuite. Apart from costing you less, you get additional features such as publishing carousel posts, audience targeting, and Canva integration when you opt for SocialPilot.
About the Author