George Herbert once said, “Good words are worth much and cost little.”
That holds true even in the digital landscape.
Instagram is a photo and video sharing platform, but that does not mean good captions do not matter to the Gram. Instagram captions are those powerful strings of words that give your Instagram post its essence.
You will be surprised to know that when it comes to engagement, good images and high-quality videos alone don’t do the trick.
The right captions are the key to success with the Instagram algorithm.
Haven’t you already noticed how top brands and influencers use captions for Instagram posts?
Well, they do not do it just for the sake of putting up a caption. They all add captions to their posts because it is a crucial engagement metric.
For business profiles, one of the best ways to communicate a brand’s message to its audience is through captions.
What Are Instagram Captions?
In Instagram, captions are titles or brief descriptions of the image or video posts. A caption can be concise and have just two words or be very descriptive, like the caption in the image below. Captions can even include hashtags, emojis, mentions, and tags.
When it comes to caption length, Instagram is pretty generous. A caption can have a maximum of 2200 characters or 330 words, roughly. In addition, you can use up to 30 hashtags; however, don’t go overboard just because you can. Rather than using 30 irrelevant hashtags, use 10 relevant ones.
Why Should You Add Captions to Your Instagram Posts?
You might be wondering why you should focus on captions when Instagram is all about sharing pictures and videos.
Well, if you have a private account and want to share your amazing pictures and videos only with your friends and followers only, captions might not matter to you. However, if your profile is public or for business purposes, and engagement matters to you, then Instagram captions could be the ultimate game-changer for you. Read ahead to know why you must pay equal attention to captions as to the images and videos.
- Captions add context to the image or video that you’re sharing
- It is crucial for engagement as captions can be used to encourage customers to provide feedback and suggestions
- It conveys the brand’s message
- Descriptive captions can provide information about your products and services
- Captions can help you in building a solid relationship with your audience
- Hashtags in captions can help you reach out to non-followers too
- Captions provide that piece of information that the picture or video is not providing
5 Tips to Write Killer Captions for Instagram Posts
Captions can add a great deal of detail to an Instagram post. By captioning your post, you provide context and convey your brand’s message to your audience.
We are here to guide you in framing some stellar captions for your posts. It’s totally up to you if you’re going to use descriptive captions, witty one-liners, or just a word to describe your product and services. Here are some tips that will help you write captions that captivate your audience:
Use Instagram Analytics to frame captions
Use Instagram analytics to find out more about your audience demographics. This will help you in understanding and collecting information about your users and followers.
Information like the age group of the users and what they do can help you frame your captions accordingly. For instance, if your users are mostly Gen Z, you know you don’t want them to read captions meant for millennials or vice versa.
Fabulous first sentence
You must have often come across captions where to read the rest of the text; you need to click MORE, right? Try to place the most important part of the caption before More. Your users do not have to read 300 words just because you wrote them.
The only reason they will click on More is if the first sentence of the caption interests them. So, your caption ought to be framed in a way that will grab the users’ attention right away.
Add a compelling CTA
CTAs or call-to-actions are an effective way to drive engagement. CTAs should be fun and easy to implement. CTAs, such as double-tapping the post or liking it, or asking your users to comment or tag their friends, are simple ways to drive engagement. Giveaways are another way to get your followers to interact with your posts. Including your audience in your posts makes them feel like they are part of the community.
You can even ask your followers to visit your website by placing a link in the bio. Click the link in bio is a common option we see on Instagram from time to time.
Add hashtags in your captions
Hashtags improve the discoverability of your posts across the platform and boost engagement. Add a bunch of hashtags to your captions but only relevant ones. Using the right hashtags, you can target a wider audience and non-followers too. Make sure you include both popular and niche hashtags in the posts.
Finding the right hashtags for each post could be an uphill task. If you feel stuck while choosing the right hashtags, you can use hashtag generators to help you out. There are plenty of hashtag generators available on the internet.
Add emojis to your captions
Instagram did not add those zillions of emojis for no reason. Emojis add a fun element and bring your conversations to life. The same applies to your captions.
Emojis can be used anywhere in the caption, but don’t overdo it. Place them in an interesting and catchy order. Emojis are fun and expressive ways to express your mood; they also add quirkiness to your captions. So, don’t hesitate to use relevant emojis in your Instagram captions.
Examples of How Brands Use Captions For Their Posts
Here is a compilation of captions used by different brands. This will give you an idea about how to use captions for your Instagram posts.
Anomaly Haircare posts don’t include a lot of unnecessary hashtags and use the ones very specific to the brand. Anomaly tags the retail company that sells the products as well.
Netflix has mastered the art of captioning. It is not uncommon for Netflix to use clips and stills from their films and series and pair them with amazing captions.
Tiffany & Co.
Tiffany & Co. shows the perfect example of how a two-word caption can define a product. In the same way that Anomaly does not overuse hashtags, Tiffany & Co. also keeps them specific to their brand.
NatGeo prefers to use descriptive captions for its posts. The reason for this is the nature of their posts. Although the picture uploaded may be powerful, it does not convey the message. To explain the message behind the powerful clicks, NatGeo uses descriptive captions along with relevant hashtags.
Kohler uses witty and straightforward captions for its posts, along with gorgeous photographs.
Now that you know what it takes to make amazing captions, take a look at the 67 best captions
that you can tweak and use for your posts.
15 funny Instagram captions
- It would be nice to lose weight, but I don’t like to lose😂
- Want to hear a pizza joke? Never mind, it’s too cheesy
- When nothing goes right, go left
- There is something magical about my bed. My entire to-do list suddenly pops into my head
- Take my advice because I’ll never use it
- If you think “Money”💰 can’t buy “Happiness”, then transfer it to “My Account” 😄
- Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth
- My life would be much better if I had six-month vacations twice a year
- I love you with all my belly. Heart would be better, but my belly is bigger
- If there were an award for being lazy, I would send someone to pick it up for me
- People say: Love what you do, and money will follow. I just ordered pizza, and now I’m waiting
- I put the ‘Pro’ in procrastinate
- Sure, I do marathons. On Netflix
- A good workout is a cross between a lunge and a crunch. Lunch
- I’m on a seafood diet. When I see food, I eat it
11 Food Instagram captions
- Money 💰 can buy happiness, and it’s called food 🙈
- They say one must eat to live, but I live to eat
- A day without coffee would be… well, I don’t know
- I lost some weight once, but I found it again in the fridge
- Sorry, I’m in a relationship. With food.
- Donut kill my vibe
- Count the memories, not the calories
- Tea can make a bad day better
- Pilates? I thought you said pie and lattes!
- Everything tastes good when you’re hungry
- Good food = good mood
15 Travel Instagram captions
- I got 99 problems, and traveling is not one of them
- Take memories, leave footprints
- It’s bad manners to keep a vacation waiting
- Traveling is about discovering who you really are
- Will travel for food (and a good sunset)
- Let’s wander where the Wi-Fi is weak
- Traveling is not an escape from life. It is a means of not letting life escape us
- A walk in nature is like witnessing a thousand miracles
- Life is not meant to be in one place
- Seek to sea more
- Lose yourself in nature and find peace
- Usually, I follow my heart and end up at the airport
- Travel is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
- Travellust. A desire to travel and understand oneself
- People don’t take trips; trips take people
10 Cool Instagram captions
- A sassy day keeps the basics away
- Make yourself the kind of person you’d like to meet
- Once you become fearless, life becomes limitless
- Dreams are free; hustles are sold separately.
- Ignore those who talk behind your back; they’re behind you for a reason
- Don’t stop until you’re proud
- Exploring the world, BRB
- If you try to be normal all the time, you’ll never realize how amazing you can be
- We didn’t realize we were making memories, and we thought we were having fun
- Paradise isn’t a place; it’s a feeling
7 business Instagram captions
- Make more moves and fewer announcements
- Take the risk or lose the chance
- Stop saying you will and start doing
- If not now, when? If not you, who?
- Aspire to inspire
- Work to the point where you don’t have to introduce yourself any more
- If you can do better, then do better
9 cute Instagram captions
- Your childhood is complete with Disney
- Life is short to regret the things you couldn’t do. Get out and do things
- I’m happiest when I’m right next to you
- Be your own reason to smile
- Be your own kind of beautiful
- Be a voice, not an echo
- In the absence of sunshine, be the sunshine
- Some people are worth melting for
- Rather than our abilities, it is our choices that reveal who we are
Writing good captions for Instagram is crucial if you want to drive more traffic and increase engagement of your posts. A good caption, along with good-quality images and videos, can work wonders for your brand.
In addition to making visually appealing posts, it is vital to consistently upload posts and interact with your audience to improve your engagement rate. Posting sporadically will not work well for your brand, however attractive the post may be.
The key is to regularly upload posts. You can use a social media calendar to plan your content schedule and ensure you have a well-laid content strategy to engage with your audience. Try SocialPilot to know more about social media calendars and several other social media marketing tools to up your Instagram marketing game!
Frequently Asked Questions
Instagram will automatically stop accepting extra characters when you reach the character limit set by Instagram. You will not be able to add any additional characters after that point.
No, it is not mandatory. By using hashtags, businesses are more likely to reach more audiences and potential customers, which is crucial to their success. You can, however, skip it if you don’t want to.
There are several caption generators available online. To obtain captions, you can use these applications.
Captions are not mandatory. You can even use an emoji instead of writing a caption if you wish, but that is totally up to you. The addition of captions, however, is likely to boost engagement. Captions and CTAs will increase customer interaction, which will further work wonders for the Instagram algorithm.
Captions could range from 1 word to 320 words. If a single word can define your product and convey your message to the audience, surely go ahead.