2020 is already upon us!
Have you planned a social media marketing strategy for your brand, yet?
Like every year, I have compiled a list of social media statistics that’ll help you draw an unbeatable social media marketing strategy for 2020.
These social media marketing statistics will tell you -
- How many social media posts are shared per day?
- What is the average time spent on Facebook or Instagram?
- What is the average engagement statistics of LinkedIn?
- Which is the best social media marketing platform for your brand?
And much more...
So whether you are heading a small/medium business, a part of the social media team of a company or a marketer looking to build his/her social media presence - these marketing insights will help you understand the changing dynamics of major social platforms.
But before we get to that, let me tell you how I’ve divided the statistics into various sections:
- Demographic Statistics - These numbers tell you about the characteristics of the population who are using a particular social platform, for instance, their gender, age, income, etc.
- Usage Statistics - These numbers tell you about how people are accessing and using the particular social platform.
- Engagement Statistics - These numbers tell you about the kind of content users are engaging with on a social platform and also how and where they’re engaging with brands.
- Business Statistics - These numbers aim to inform you about how businesses are using these platforms to market themselves - social selling, customer service, content marketing, etc.
- Ads Insights - These numbers talk about the amount brands are investing in ads, their returns and the kind of response ads receive on these platforms.
- Top brands - Brands which have nailed social media marketing on these platforms and are now considered touchstones for marketers.
Table of Contents
Do you have any idea about how many people use Facebook? Well, we are uncovering it right below here. But the number of users is just the tip of an iceberg. Get hold of yourself, because we have compiled every social media usage stats you’ll want to know about the most used social media platform!
- Facebook has 2.45 billion monthly active users.
- The total number of mobile active users is 2.2 billion.
- 69% of all adults in the US are using Facebook.
- India is ranked first in terms of Facebook audience size with 269 million users.
- The United States, Brazil, and Indonesia also have more than 100 million Facebook users each.
- Women between 18 - 24 and Male between 25 -34 age group constituted the biggest demographic group of Facebook users.
- 74% of high-income earners use Facebook.
- On average, people access Facebook 8 times each day.
- Mobile app users spend, on average, 57 minutes per day on Facebook.
- 74% of Facebook users log in daily.
- Facebook users spend 38 minutes per day using the platform.
- 43% of users get their news from Facebook.
- 140 million people daily, now spend at least one-minute consuming Watch content.
- To date, Facebook users have made over 2.5 trillion posts.
- On average, Facebook users make 2 billion searches every month.
- 500 million Facebook stories are shared daily.
- 2 billion viewers have watched Facebook Live videos at least once.
- Video posts get at least 59% more engagement than other post types.
- Facebook’s maximum video length is 240 Minutes (4hrs), with a max file size of 4 GB.
- The optimal length of a Facebook video is between 3 and 5 minutes.
- Video outperformed photos by 73%.
- Facebook live videos generate watch times 3x longer than those that are no longer live.
- It takes 7 to 13+ touches to generate a viable sales lead, so let your automated messaging take care of several of those touches for you.
- Posts published between 9 pm-11 pm EST seems to perform the best.
- If you want the best chance of engagement, keep your Facebook posts no longer than 50 characters.
- Love, as it turns out, is the most powerful emotion, driving 46% of reactions.
- Gen Z is already estimated to influence $143 billion in spending in the US alone.
- 60% of Gen Zers surveyed wish they could communicate with more businesses via messaging.
- 93% of businesses are active on Facebook.
- There are more than 300,000 active Messenger bots.
- 20 billion messages are sent between people and businesses every month.
- As of 2019, 60 million local business pages have been created.
- 49% of Facebook users like a brand’s page to show their support.
- Branded Facebook pages only reach about 2% of fans with organic posts.
- 1.6 billion Facebook users are connected to a small business on the platform.
- 72% of online users of income more than $75K are on Facebook.
- B2B decision-makers are spending 760 minutes a week on Facebook.
- 7 million businesses use Facebook for advertising.
- Over 90 percent of Facebook ad revenues are coming in via mobile.
- The average engagement rate for an organic Facebook post is 3.91%.
- Facebook’s average global revenue is $16.9 million.
- 72% of B2C marketers reported that Facebook was their top social advertising channel.
- 43% of B2B marketers named Facebook as their most important advertising channel.
- 94% of social media marketers are using the Facebook ad platform.
- Facebook video ads have the lowest CPC with an average CPC of $1.86.
- Adding a call-to-action button to your Facebook ad boosts click-through rate by 2.85x.
- 26% of people who click on ads report making a purchase.
- 25.1% of business pages on Facebook have incorporated paid media.
- Coca-Cola’s Facebook page has 107.4 million likes.
- Tasty’s Facebook page has 97.6 million likes. (owned by Buzzfeed)
- McDonald's Facebook page has 80 million likes.
- Netflix’s Facebook page has 61 million likes.
- Converse’s Facebook page has 46 million followers.
Did you ever realize the shift where you started tagging everyone on Instagram instead of Facebook? For the millennials, Instagram is much more than just a social media platform to interact. Here are some amazing social media stats to make sure that you know the potential of this platform right.
- Instagram has over 1 billion monthly active users.
- 500 million people use Instagram Stories every day.
- The projected number of US Instagram users by 2023 is 125.5 million.
- The biggest demographic group is males between 18-24 years old.
- 71% of all users are aged between 18 and 24.
- 95% of Instagram users are younger than 35.
- 52% of females use Instagram.
- 48% of males use Instagram.
- 37% of Americans now use Instagram.
- 24% of US teens cite Instagram as their favorite social network.
- The top three countries that use Instagram most are US with 110 million users, Brazil with 66 million users and India with 64 million users.
- More than 40 billion photos have been shared so far.
- An average user spends 17 minutes a day on the app.
- 63% of Instagram users visit the social platform daily.
- 60% of the world’s top brands use this app.
- 46.6% of Instagram users have less than 1000 followers.
- 40% of Instagram posts contain no hashtags.
- 42% of U.S. women on Instagram consider shopping a hobby.
- The Like button is hit by an average of 4.2 billion times per day.
- There are over 4.2 billion Instagram Likes per day.
- Posts that include another handle gain 56% more engagement.
- Posts with a location receive 79% more engagement.
- Instagram posts with faces get 38% more likes.
- Instagram videos receive 21.2% higher interactions than single photos, and 18.6% more interactions than carousels.
- Tagging more than 5+ users does not increase engagement rates.
- The average Instagram post contains 1.01 hashtags.
- Instagram uses up to 30 hashtags in a post.
- 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram per day.
- 7 out of 10 hashtags on Instagram are branded.
- 41% of Canadian content creators said engagement dropped after like counts were hidden.
- Posts containing or featuring UGC have a 4.5% higher conversion rate than non-UGC posts.
- Stories stickers enhance video performance 83% of the time.
- 80% of Instagram users follow a business.
- 33% of B2B businesses, 71% of businesses and 98% of fashion brands use Instagram.
- 60% of Instagram users discover new products on the platform.
- 80% of businesses consider engagement the most important metric.
- 72% of Instagram users claim to have made a product purchase after seeing it on the app.
- More than 150 million people use Instagram Direct each month to communicate directly with a business.
- 200 million Instagram users visit at least 1 business profile daily.
- Brands post an average of 2.5 stories per week.
- 130 million Instagram users tap on shopping posts every month.
- 73% of U.S. teens say Instagram is the best way for brands to reach them about new products or promotions.
- How-to tutorials are the most popular form of Instagram video content.
- IGTV has been the last choice for content type created by influencers - by a 4x difference.
- Over 2 million businesses use Instagram for advertising.
- 30% of users say they’ve bought a product they discovered on Instagram.
- Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 849.3 million users.>
- Sponsored videos get 3x more comments than sponsored photos.
- An estimated 75% of Instagram users will take action on at least one ad at some point.
- Instagram advertisers can reach a youth audience of 52.9 million.
- Brands pay Instagram influencers between $100 and $2,085 per post, for videos an average of between $114 and $3,138, and for Stories, they pay between $43 and $721.
- U.S. marketers spend 31% of their Instagram ad budget on Stories and the rest 69% for newsfeed.
- The most followed brand on Instagram is Nike with 96.9 million followers.
- Victoria's Secret has 68.7 million followers on Instagram.
- Huda beauty has 40.2 million followers on Instagram.
- Gucci has 38.5 million followers on Instagram.
- Chanel has 38.2 million followers on Instagram.
Pinterest is the most creative kind of platform catering to your ideas and inspiration catalog. With its amazing compilation of ideas ranging from mundane household needs to future technology, a business of any domain can curate a creative campaign out of it. Read on to explore more about this social media platform!
- There are over 335 million monthly active Pinterest users.
- The U.S tops the list of countries with 85 million users, followed by Germany at 11.21 million.
- 79% of the Pinterest users are Female and 21% are Males.
- New Signups are more from women at 60% as compared to 40% from men.
- Only 7% of total pins are from men.
- The US contributes to 50% of the pinners.
- Most of the US Pinterest users are aged between 30 - 49 years.
- 50% of the millennials use Pinterest heavily.
- There are over 200 billion Pinterest pins.
- There are over 4 billion Pinterest boards.
- There are over 75 billion ideas on Pinterest.
- 85% of its users access Pinterest through a mobile device.
- Average time spent on Pinterest per visit is 14.2 minutes.
- U.S users spend an average of 5.29 minutes per mobile app session.
- 27% of marketers are already using Pinterest.
- 55% of Pinners log onto the site specifically to find products.
- There are more than 2x more travelers on Pinterest than the top online travel agency sites.
- More than 14 million articles are pinned each day.
- More than 2 billion text-based and guided searches are carried out on Pinterest every month.
- 600 million visual searches are generated on Pinterest monthly.
- 98% of Pinners say they’ve tried new things they come across on Pinterest.
- Visual searches on Pinterest have more than doubled in one year.
- 87% of people bought a product on Pinterest because of Pinterest.
- 93% of people use Pinterest to plan a purchase.
- 76% of Pinners save items to purchase later.
- 40% of Pinners Have a Household Income of $100k+.
- 48% of Pinterest users in US use the platform to shop.
- Two-thirds of pins represent brands and products.
- 77% of People who use Pinterest have found a new brand or product on the platform.
- Pinterest drives 33% more traffic to shopping sites than Facebook.
- There are 50% more products from retailers in their corpus.
- 50% of users have made a purchase after seeing a promoted Pin.
- Promoted Pins have repinned on an average of 11 times per advertisement.
- Advertising on Pinterest earns a $2 profit for every $1 spent.
- By 2020, Pinterest ad revenue is projected to surpass $1 billion.
- Pinterest averages a $4.30 gross return for every $1 spent on ads.
- Pinterest ad revenue per user is lower than other social networks, but growing.
- Pinterest served ads to users in 28 markets, adding countries like Cyprus, Czech Republic, Greece, Hungary, Luxembourg, Malta, Poland, Romania and Slovakia
- Most Popular categories for men are Food, Drink and Technology.
- Art Supplies, Art, and Hobbies are the top categories in the US.
Twitter has now become an important medium to stay up to date with the worldly on-goings! From every politician, celebrity to smallest brands, have their presence on Twitter. Did you know that having your brand's presence can increase your customer loyalty? Well, there is still much more to explore, read on these social media stats to get a better hang of this platform.
- Twitter has 330 million monthly active users as of Q1 2019 worldwide.
- Twitter has 134 million daily active users.
- The average US monetizable daily active users were 28 million for Q1 2019.
- 63% of Twitter users are between 35-65 years old.
- 34% of Twitter users are female and 66% of users are men.
- 500 million tweets are sent per day.
- Twitter users spent an average of 3.39 minutes on the social networking platform per session.
- Total app downloads on PlayStore are 14.2 million and AppStore is 11.7 million.
- 83% of 193 UN member countries have a Twitter presence.
- 12% of Americans get their news from Twitter.
- The US has the maximum number of twitter followers at 48.3 million followed by Japan at 35.65 million. Other 8 countries are Russia - 13.9, United Kingdom - 13.7, Saudi Arabia - 10.09, Turkey - 8.33, Brazil - 8.15, India - 7.91, Mexico - 6.93, Spain - 6.55
- 65% of the most prolific Twitter users are women.
- 25% of Twitter’s most prolific users use scheduling software.
- Tweets with images receive 18% more click-throughs, 89% more likes, and 150% more retweets.
- 77% of users feel more positive about a brand if they respond directly to tweets.
- Twitter reports that 125 million hashtags and 500 million GIFs are shared every day.
- Tweets with images added to it can reap 150% more retweets.
- Tweets with only 1 hashtag in its content are 69% more likely to be retweeted.
- Direct message campaigns are 300% more effective than email campaigns in terms of click rate.
- A tweet only takes 18 minutes to reach audiences before being buried in new tweets.
- Companies using Twitter for customer service see a 19% lift in customer satisfaction.
- 92% of companies Tweet more than once a day.
- Twitter’s site referral traffic is up 6%, year-over-year.
- 93% of brand followers on twitter plan to buy from them.
- 69% of brand followers on twitter have already purchased from them.
- 67% of B2B marketers use Twitter to market their businesses, as compared to 57% of B2C marketers.
- Twitter data reveal that consumers are 31% more likely to recall information that they saw on Twitter as opposed to regular online browsing.
- Failing to respond to tweets can cause a 43% decrease in customer advocacy
- Over 70% of Twitter users expect brands to interact with them on the platform.
- Roughly 40% of Twitter users claim to have made a purchase directly from an influencer’s tweet.
- Twitter has 145 million monetizable daily active users, i.e. users who see ads.
- Twitter ad engagement is up 23%.
- Twitter ads with video are 50% cheaper in cost-per-engagement.
- Using Twitter in-stream video ads can boost brand ad recall by 70%.
- Advertising revenue totaled $727 million, an increase of 21% year-over-year.
- Twitter Ads are up to 11% better at mentally engaging with audiences during live events.
- Twitter ads are 11% more effective than TV ads during live events.
- Playstation’s Twitter profile reigns as the most-followed brand with 17.5 million followers.
- Xbox’s Twitter profile has 13.7 million followers.
- Chanel’s Twitter profile has 13.2 million followers.
- Samsung Mobile’s Twitter profile has 12.1 million followers.
- Starbucks’s Twitter profile has 11.3 million followers.
- Victoria Secret’s Twitter profile has 11.1 million followers.
The treasure trove of B2B marketers has come a long way from being just a professional podium. Brands have started showing more intimate content but with the same professional ethic. Today a lot of companies as well as employees consider a reputed LinkedIn profile of utmost value. Here are some rare social media stats of this platform to make sure that you leverage it right.
- The population of LinkedIn stands over 675 million worldwide.
- There are 303 million monthly active users on LinkedIn.
- There are 57% of male users and 43% female users on LinkedIn.
- 57% of LinkedIn traffic is from mobile devices.
- The US is surging on top with 177 million users on LinkedIn
- After the US, India, Brazil, Great Britain and Canada have the highest number of LinkedIn users.
- There are 87 million millennials on LinkedIn with 11 million in decision-making positions.
- LinkedIn SlideShare now has 70 million monthly active users.
- More than 30 million companies are listed on LinkedIn.
- More than 20 million open jobs on LinkedIn Jobs
- 35K skills are listed on LinkedIn
- Two professionals join LinkedIn every second
- 91 percent of executives rate LinkedIn as their first choice for professionally relevant content.
- 280 billion feed updates viewed annually.
- There are 9 billion content impressions in LinkedIn feeds every week.
- 2 million posts, articles, and videos are published on LinkedIn every day.
- Only 1 million users have published an article on LinkedIn.
- Only 1% of users post content weekly, though 91% of marketing executives use LinkedIn as a content source
- About 45% of LinkedIn article readers are in upper-level positions (managers, VPs, Directors, C-level).
- “Specialize” is the most overused word for the second year in a row.
- On average, most users spend 17 minutes monthly on LinkedIn.
- Users visit an average of 8.5 pages before leaving.
- 99.37% of LinkedIn search traffic comes from organic search.
- LinkedIn Pages with complete information get 30% more views compared to others.
- 98% of marketers agree that personalization helps advance customer relationships.
- According to LinkedIn, companies that post 20 times per month reach at least 60% of their unique audience.
- Including the links can drive twice the engagement than a post without the link.
- Images on average results in a 98% higher comment rate than without.
- Links to Youtube video plays directly in the LinkedIn feed and typically gives a 75% higher share rate.
- Long-form content gets the most shares on LinkedIn, so aiming for between 1700 & 2100 words should give your content a boost.
- Messages sent has increased 35% year over year.
- Weekly members who engage heavily with content are 5x more likely to return daily.
- Listing 5 or more skills on your LinkedIn profile can lead to up to 17x more views.
- LinkedIn is the second-most popular platform among B2B marketers, just behind Facebook.
- 45% of marketers have gained customers through LinkedIn.
- 92% of Fortune 500 companies use LinkedIn.
- 79% of B2B marketers agree on LinkedIn being a good source for generating leads.
- 4 out of 5 LinkedIn users drive business decisions.
- 52% of buyers list LinkedIn as the most influential channel during their research process.
- InMail has a 300 percent higher response rate than email.
- LinkedIn is generating revenue for 38% of B2B marketers.
- 80% of B2B leads coming from social media are from LinkedIn.
- 97% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn to help drive their content marketing strategy.
- 49% of LinkedIn users earn at least $75,000/year.
- 90 million LinkedIn users are senior-level influencers and 63 million are in decision-making positions.
- 70 % of B2B marketers are planning on increasing their organic activities on the platform.
- Over 600 million LinkedIn users can be reached through advertisements on the professional network.
- The US offers the largest group of LinkedIn advertising audience with a reach of 150 million users.
- 65% of B2B companies have generated a customer through LinkedIn paid ads.
- HubSpot found that traffic from LinkedIn generated the highest visitor-to-lead conversion rate at 2.74%, almost 277% higher than Facebook and Twitter.
- LinkedIn has reported that its “matched audience” targeting feature procured a 32% increase in post-click conversation rates and a 30% boost in CTR.
- 58% of B2B advertisers like the ROI on LinkedIn ads.
- Ted Conferences has 14.9 million followers.
- Google has 14.3 million followers.
- Amazon has 11.08 million followers.
- LinkedIn has 10.23 million followers.
- Microsoft has 9.3 million followers.
TikTok is the new sweetheart of Gen-Z and baby boomers. Popular for its quirky and hilarious content, its buzz-generating power is tenfolds. Businesses are leveraging this opportunity to create a new user base for their brand. Read on to find out the statistics which can help you make creative content for the platform.
- TikTok reached over 1.5 billion downloads.
- TikTok has 500 million active users worldwide.
- TikTok was the third most downloaded app in the first quarter (Q1) of 2019, with 188 million new users.
- 41 % of TikTok users are aged between 16 and 24.
- 55.6 % of users are male and 44.4 % of users are female.
- TikTok is available in 155 countries and 75 languages.
- Users spend 61+ minutes per day on the app.
- There are over 100 billion average monthly video views.
- Over 34% of users shoot daily.
- 90% of all TikTok users access the app on a daily basis.
- U.S. users open the app 8 times a day and individual sessions on the app are the longest at 4.9 minutes - Facebook (4.7 minutes), Instagram (3.1 minutes), and Snapchat (1.6 minutes) all rank lower.
- 68% of TikTok users watch someone else’s video.
- 55% of TikTok users upload their own videos.
- TikTok’s engagement rate leaves much to be desired at a lowly 29%.
- 63% of engaged TikTok users claim to have liked a video in the last month.
- 54% of engaged TikTok users claim to have commented on somebody else’s video in the last month.
- Americans have spent over $23.1 million on in-app TikTok purchases so far.
- Bytedance, TikTok's parent company is valued at $75 million, making it the world's most valuable startup.
- 42% of all TikTok revenue now comes from the USA.
- Influencers could expect a flat $500 payout for signing on to the platform plus $25 for each video they upload.
- TikTok lost $500,000 from the Indian ban.
- Brands are currently buying TikTok’s in-feed ads for $10 per impression with a $6,000 minimum campaign spend.
- The official TikTok account holds the record for the most followed account with 35.6 million followers.
- The most followed individual on TikTok is a comedic poster and influencer named Loren Gray having 34.8 million followers.
- Ariel Martin, better known as Baby Ariel, is an award-winning social media personality, singer, and actress with 29.8 million followers.
- Former Vine star Zach King has found a new following on TikTok with 26 million followers.
- Flighthouse is the third and final brand account to crack the top 10 most followed TikTok accounts with 20.6 million followers.
One of the most popular millennial-driven platform, Snapchat, is the first social media network to introduce 'Stories'. This 5th most downloaded social media app worldwide, helps brands connect with users in their geographic areas. So to help you with a marketing plan for Snapchat, here are some interesting Snapchat statistics you wouldn't want to miss.
- There are over 210 million daily active users as of Q3, 2019.
- Snapchat saw an increase of 13% YoY growth in daily active users since 2018.
- North America has 84 million daily active users while Europe has 65 million and 61 million from the rest of the world.
- 90% of all 13-24 year olds in the US use Snapchat.
- 75% of all 13-34 year olds in the US use Snapchat.
- 61% of Snapchat users are female and 39% of users are male.
- Average time spent on Snapchat is approximately 25 - 30 minutes daily.
- According to a report about 2.1 million snaps are created every minute.
- Over 3.5 billion snaps were created daily.
- Snapchat users open the app over 18 times daily.
- Snapchat is the 6th most popular app in the US.
- Snapchat App was downloaded 41.5 million times in May, 2019.
- Snapchat Discover daily viewers grew by 35%.
- Snapchat was ranked as the 2nd most used messaging app in U.S
- 19 million users check Snap Maps daily to locate their friends.
- Videos posted on Snapchat reached 14 billion daily views.
- The longest Snapchat streak was recorded to 1457 snaps.
- 57% of the total content shared on Snapchat is videos.
- 60% of Snapchat users create new content on the app every day.
- 50% of the Americans were found using Snapchat’s AR lenses each week.
- 28.3% of marketers are on Snapchat.
- 8% of Businesses use Snapchat.
- 41% teenagers consider Snapchat as their preferred app.
- 4 out of 10 Snapchatters said they discovered a brand via celebrity endorsements.
- More than 1 out of 5 Snapchat users bought a product they discovered on Snapchat.
- Geofilter shared to a national audience can reach 40-60% of the daily Snapchat users.
- 80% of users use Snapchat at a restaurant, 66% while shopping and 50% use Snapchat at the gym.
- Snapchat ads were seen to capture 2x the attention of users compared to Facebook.
- Snapchat Sponsored Lenses are predicted to reach 16 million daily viewers.
- Snap Ads are available for $3000 / month.
- Sponsored lenses start from a range of $4,50,000 per day.
- User engage with Snap ads at an average time of 30 seconds.
So, how are you planning to use these statistics to your advantage in 2020?